As the temperature drops, my cravings for warm food rises. I find it so crucial during this freezing weather to eat something comforting, yet healthy. I came up with the idea of combining two super foods that I happen to love; kale and sweet potato. This soup recipe is pretty simple and consists of hearty ingredients. Feel free to play around with my recipe and add in what you love, for example noodles, quinoa, or any veggies you have on hand. Check out the recipe below to help warm up over these cold winter months, while still fitting into your skinny jeans.
Sweet Potato Kale Soup
3 large carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
8 cups vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup or 1 bunch kale, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pour olive oil into large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic and onions, stir to soften, about 2 minutes.
3. Add carrots and celery to garlic and onions, stir to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Pour vegetable broth into pot and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiled, add sweet potato and reduce heat to a simmer.
6. After about 5 minutes and sweet potatoes have softened, add kale and allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
7. Pour into bowls and enjoy!